Sunday, March 1, 2009

RUB BBQ

How do I love you Barbeque? Let me count the ways…14th…18th…all the way to 23rd Street. This is where you will find the best authentic Texas BBQ that we know of in NYC. RUB, an acronym for Righteous Urban Barbeque, has been our go-to BBQ joint since our first visit a few years ago. The owner Paul Kirk has a history of winning many BBQ competitions in the South where saucy flamed cuisine is a way of life. RUB is located in Chelsea at 23rd street between 7th and 8th Ave.

Kevin was not so impressed with the Baby Back Ribs this time ($24.75 full/$13.75 half). They were smoked fine just lacked the meat he is used to getting with beef ribs. There are so many options at RUB, it is very difficult to choose. The huge competition quality smokers are filled with ribs, turkey, ham, brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken, and sausage, all of which are tasty. You can have them all if you attempt to conquer the Taste of Baron dinner, a combo of 6 different meats and two sides with cornbread, enough to serve 4-6 people for $50. This time I had the BBQ Rib Sandwich but on my next visit, I plan on trying the BBQ Reuben Crusher ($11.75 - pastrami, swiss, sauerkraut and Russian on grilled rye). I almost ordered the Ruben this time but did not for fear of pastrami comparisons to Katz's, which I can't imagine being outdone. I’ve been told to save room for a legendary deep fried Oreo dessert, think funnel cake with melted Oreos in the middle. How did I not get one of those yet?

No comments: